Cubietruck reactivated, gets a new home.

My internet is proving very unreliable, which hardly makes it ideal as an email server.

I decided to ditch hosting my own email server, and bought a dedicated one from Easily. It has a web interface if I choose to use it, but I prefer to use Thunderbird. I’m glad that I decided to go down this route, as it only costs me £10pa, and I can always go back to self-hosting if I decide that I don’t want to spend the money. I figure that it is worth it for the guaranteed uptime, though.

My LAN is acting a bit funny ever since we had the lightning storm. I have eliminated  damage to the internal computers, but I’m not 100% sure on the router itself. I’m thinking of getting a network switch to see if internal routing improves. I half-suspect that ‘tmux’ is causing problems with network resets, as unlikely as that may seem to an outsider.

Earlier this year, my cubietruck was taken out of commission because I bought a much-improved server. I have decided to reinstate it for testing purposes. I am using it as a backup ssh server. I have also decided to have it hosting my website. I am more sanguine about my website going down than my email. I’m also thinking about using my cubietruck as a NAS.

Given that my cubietruck is now likely to see plenty more service, I decided it was time to house it in a whole new lunchbox:

thumb

Lunchbox 2.0 is slightly smaller. When I was “customising” the original lunchbox, I had to put a couple of holes it it. The first hole I made was by driving a nail through the side. Bad idea! Plastic is brittle, so it created some fractures. Opening and closing the lunchbox for access just worsens the fracturing.

In my new design, I used a heated nail to melt an initial hole in the plastic. I then used a file to increase the size of the holes, as required. I also abandoned the idea of cutting a groove from the open in of the box. The idea is that by cutting a narrow slot, the power lead could fit into the slot, but the barrel on the lead would prevent it from being pulled out.

I had a better idea. The holes are now wide enough to accommodate the full width of the lead, and are entirely within the body of the box. This gives the box greater strength. In order to stop leads being jerked out, I used plastic clothepins.

The whole thing looks it was inspired from Orac out of Blakes Seven, and I would like to create a more elegant solution. That would likely be too complicated, though.

The image that I have shown above was created using IPython3 notebook from Anaconda and the pillow image processing library. I’m finding IPython great for experimental work, and I have been using it to investigate some momentum investing. I have some results, but I haven’t polished it off. The results are interesting.

Advertisements

About mcturra2000

Computer programmer living in Scotland.
This entry was posted in Computers and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s