Upgraded to Debian Bullseye

I decided to jump the gun and update my Debian Stable from Buster to Bullseye. The upgrade was smooth enough, and I’m pleased to report no problems. The download was large, though, over 4G. I shouldn’t have been surprised, I guess, seeings as it’s basically a completely new system.

The login screen looks a lot nicer.

I decided to remove LibreOffice. That frees up 400M of disk space. Mental. Over the coming weeks I’ll undoubtedly see what else can be removed from my system.

I’m keen to check out the latest version of C++, as it will have a lot more C++20 goodness.

The mail reader Evolution now has a nice touch: it aerosnaps!

Firefox seems to be soaking up the memory: over 20% of it. It seems to cause my fans to do a bit of spinning, too. Could try harder. I took an opportunity to play with FreeDOS the other day. One thing that really sticks out is just how fast it is. On my old machine it took over a minute to load up and old version of Kubuntu. I can’t remember how long FreeDOS took, but it was effectively instantaneous. There might have been a boot screen with a timeout of a few seconds.

It reminds me of when I was working as an accountant back in the mid-80’s for a small firm. They installed a computer network running 286s. I used an accounts package called IRIS. What took the time is marking up the ledger with accounts codes manually. I then entered the values onto the accounting system. Data entry was pretty quick. There probably wouldn’t have been much time saved by entering values directly into the computer as opposed to coding them beforehand. A set of accounts was produced. It took, what, about a second or something. Makes you think, right. We could effectively do everything then that we could now, and could probably get it done quicker.

Upgrading my system was a bit of a punt. Although I have backups of my important data, there was a whole lot of data that I had downloaded from the internet. Rather than assiduously backing all this stuff up, I decided to take a flier and just upgrade my system. If the system b0rked then, well, I’d have had the job of reconstructing all the tools that I used. That’s not so bad, as I would have had the latest ones anyway. So it was a calculated risk of going through the chore of backing things up as opposed to just sucking it and seeing. Fortunately it all went without a hitch, so in the end, I actually saved myself the hassle of doing a fresh install.

About mcturra2000

Computer programmer living in Scotland.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s